“Cover your mouth!” This is something you have probably heard growing up when you cough or sneeze. During the current COVID-19 pandemic, sneezing or coughing in public is often viewed as someone with the black plague.
Many symptoms such as coughing and sneezing come from viruses, which can disrupt how the body works. The immune system acts as an army to keep that virus from harming the body, which is why you run a fever. Body heat can inactivate many viruses.
Scientists call viruses microscopic parasites. What that means is that viruses are usually much smaller than bacteria and need a host to reproduce and thrive. Otherwise, they cannot survive. 
Once a virus infects a cell, it can then direct that cell to create more viruses. In other words, the virus hijacks that cell into a virus-making machine. This continues until the immune system can stop the virus.
Once your body is infected with a virus, modern medicine has no pill or drug that can stop the virus. We’ve all heard the term, “it had to run its course.”
That is why having a strong immune system is so vital to recover from a virus. The immune system is the first and only line of defense against a virus.
COVID-19: Understanding A New Virus
A virus creates a certain illness. For instance, the influenza virus creates the flu. Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) is the coronavirus that has led to chaos, isolations, and fear.
Coronavirus itself is not new, and many types exist. However, COVID-19 is a new coronavirus because it hasn’t been previously seen in humans.
COVID-19 Affects Everyone Differently
Research has made some observations about how COVID-19 affects people:
- The risk of developing harmful symptoms from COVID-19 increases for those with chronic, pre-existing health issues.
- Being obese can increase your risk for being hospitalized with COVID-19.
- A recent study from Boston University found that people who are deficient in vitamin D have a 54% higher risk of acquiring COVID-19.
6 Ways to Reduce the Effects of Viruses and Strengthen Your Immune System
While viruses can impact everyone differently, you have plenty of ways to keep your immune system strong.
- Eat immune-supporting foods. What you eat impact the strength of your immune system. A colorful array of plant foods including leafy and cruciferous vegetables as well as low-sugar fruits provide vitamin C and many other nutrient-rich foods to keep your immune system strong. Our Core and Advanced Plans provide plenty of immune-boosting foods.
- Maintain your ideal weight. Obesity is a risk factor for COVID-19, regardless of other conditions such as age. Being obese can impact how the lung functions, the body’s immune response, and much more. Consider a keto diet to find and keep your healthy weight.
- Exercise regularly. Exercise of moderate intensity can lower your risk of infections like COVID-19 while supporting the immune system. Our Max T3 program gives you a powerful full-body workout in just 12 minutes, in the comfort of your own home.
- Manage stress. Stress can increase feelings of anxiety or worry, change your sleep patterns, and worsen mental or physical health conditions. All of those things can take their toll on your immune system. Learn 16 ways to lower stress here.
- Get great sleep. It’s no coincidence that you get sick more often when you don’t sleep well. Your body can better fight off viruses and other infections with solid, uninterrupted sleep. Aim for eight hours every night. Our Sleep + Mood Formula can help you safely fall and stay asleep.
- Get the right nutrients. Being low in even one vitamin or mineral, such as vitamin D, may increase your risk of infections such as COVID-19. Supporting your immune system has never been more critical than during this current pandemic. Our Immune Boost Bundle contains the essential nutrients your body needs to fight off infections and thrive. Our bundle includes:
- Zinc +. Deficiencies in this essential mineral can lower the function of the immune system. Ours has 30 mg of highly absorbable zinc as well as other immune-supporting nutrients, all in just one capsule every day.
- IM Support. We’ve combined top immune-supporting nutrients – including echinacea, elderberry, medicinal mushrooms, and arabinogalactan – in this powerful formula.
- Vitamin C. The Rolls Royce of vitamin C supplements. We’ve combined this powerful immune-supporting vitamin with citrus bioflavonoids and quercetin, which support vitamin C’s immune-boosting effect.
- Vitamin D3 + Probiotics. Being low in vitamin D and the healthy gut bacteria we call probiotics can increase your risk of getting sick.   Very few foods provide good amounts of these nutrients, which makes this supplement critical for immune health.