Basil Chicken Over Fresh Greens and Asparagus
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves 3/4 lb, approx. 4-6 oz each
- 1 lb asparagus spears
- 2 green onions both white and green parts, chopped
- 1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
- t tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp fresh ginger finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh basil finely chopped (or 1-2 tsp dried basil)
- 3 cups fresh spinach or fresh greens of choice
- Rinse the chicken breasts in cool, running water; pat dry using paper towel. Cut away any visible or excess fat.
- In a medium-size glass bowl, combine the green onion, olive oil, vinegar, fresh ginger, and fresh (or dried) basil; whisk together to create the marinade.
- Arrange the chicken breasts in a shallow baking dish, and pour the marinade over the chicken, turning to coat. Cover with plastic wrap, and place the marinating chicken in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place the chicken breasts on the foil-lined baking sheet, and arrange the rinsed/dried asparagus spears around the chicken breasts. Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven.
- Bake the chicken/asparagus for 35-45 minutes or until the asparagus is fork tender and the chicken breasts are cooked through and juices run clear.
- To serve, place a baked chicken breast on each plate, and serve over a bed of fresh spinach or preferred greens and serve alongside 3-4 spears of asparagus.
- Store the remaining in the sealable containers to be used for lunch the following day.