- Bread Machine
- 11 cups water
- 3 cups whole-wheat flour (finely-sifted)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 1⁄2 tbsp baking soda
- coarse salt to taste (optional)
- Put all wet ingredients (1 cup of water along with the olive oil and honey) in bread machine pan.
- Add dry ingredients (flour, yeast, salt) to the pan, adding yeast last.
- Select “dough” setting.When dough is done, remove from bread pan and place onto an oiled countertop.
- Gently roll and stretch dough into 12-inch ropes.
- With a sharp knife, divide dough into four or five equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into 14-inch ropes.
- Shape into a pretzel.
- Set aside pretzels on oiled countertop, cover with a towel and let rise, until doubled in size or about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, bring 10 cups of water and baking soda to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a gentle simmer. Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Gently lift pretzels on a slotted spoon into water for 20 seconds.
- Turn over and repeat for 20 seconds.
- Remove from water and place on rack, allowing dough to drain.
- After all are done being soaked, bake on a cookie sheet for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm.