Black Bean and Grass-fed Beef Meatballs with Cilantro Sauce
These meatballs will be family favorite and are super healthy for kids and adults. The mixture of black beans, grass-fed beef, egg, and yogurt offer healthy protein, and combined with the spices boost your immunity. Plus, they are tasty and fun to eat.
- 2 cups canned organic black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 lb grass-fed ground beef
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 cloves garlic minced or crushed
- 1 organic egg
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1-2 medium organic green or red bell peppers (Dirty Dozen- buy organic)
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 avocado pitted and chopped
- 1 organic tomato diced
Creamy Cilantro Sauce
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 4 tbsp fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp lime juice
- sea salt (to taste)
- cracked pepper (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- Pulse beans in a food processor or mash them with a fork or potato masher. You want them a bit chunky.
- Mix the beans with the beef, chili, cumin, oregano, garlic, egg, and lime juice until combined.
- Roll into 1″ balls and place on a baking sheet, either lightly greased with coconut oil or lined with parchment or silicone liner. Bake until browned and crisp outside (about 17 minutes). Check the meatballs frequently after 12 minutes to avoid burning.
- Meanwhile, saute the onions, peppers and tomatoes until lightly cooked, but still crisp.
- Then, blend all creamy cilantro sauce ingredients together in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- You can eat these atop the veggie mixture and top with avocado, then dip into the sauce OR wrap everything in a sturdy piece of lettuce (Bibb lettuce works well).