Apple Flaxseed Muffins
Muffins are often packed full of calories and just as bad a donuts, but these Apple Flaxseed Muffins are not only tasty, but a healthier option as well.
- 1 cup flaxseed meal
- 2 cups almond meal (can chop raw almonds in food processor)
- 2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg and/or cloves
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan sea salt
- 1/4 tsp powdered stevia
- 1 cup xylitol
- 4-6 large, organic, pasture-raised eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup full-fat organic yogurt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp pure vanilla (sugar free)
- 2 medium organic apples finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
- 1/2 cup currants (optional on Core Plan only)
- 1/2 cup xylitol
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a muffin tin with silicone baking cups or paper liners.
- In a food processor, pulse together flaxseed meal, raw almonds, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, stevia, and xylitol.
- In a small saucepan, melt coconut oil.
- In a separate bowl, mix coconut oil, eggs, almond milk, yogurt, vanilla, apple, nuts, and currants.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and combine thoroughly. Add additional water or almond milk if too thick.
- Let batter stand 10 minutes.
- Separate batter into the muffin pan.
- Sprinkle on topping.
- Bake for approximately 18–20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.