Apple Flaxseed Muffins
Muffins are often packed full of calories and just as bad a donuts, but these Apple Flaxseed Muffins are not only tasty, but a healthier option as well.
- 1 cup flaxseed meal
- 2 cups almond meal (can chop raw almonds in food processor)
- 2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg and/or cloves
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan sea salt
- 1/4 tsp powdered stevia
- 1 cup xylitol
- 4-6 large, organic, pasture-raised eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup full-fat organic yogurt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp pure vanilla (sugar free)
- 2 medium organic apples finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
- 1/2 cup currants (optional on Core Plan only)
- 1/2 cup xylitol
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a muffin tin with silicone baking cups or paper liners.
In a food processor, pulse together flaxseed meal, raw almonds, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, stevia, and xylitol.
In a small saucepan, melt coconut oil.
In a separate bowl, mix coconut oil, eggs, almond milk, yogurt, vanilla, apple, nuts, and currants.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry and combine thoroughly. Add additional water or almond milk if too thick.
Let batter stand 10 minutes.
Separate batter into the muffin pan.
Sprinkle on topping.
Bake for approximately 18–20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.