Germ Theory and Your Immune System
In the 1860’s Louis Pasteur’s germ theory revolutionized medicine. Much of today’s modern medical practices stem from his claim that exposure to viruses and bacteria is what make us sick.
In an effort to stay healthy, we have been told it’s beneficial to clean with strong chemicals, pasteurize our food, stay inside to avoid exposure to germs, sanitize hands frequently, get routine vaccinations, and wear masks to prevent the spread of germs. But is it all truly beneficial? Some people continue to get sick while others don’t.
D.D. Palmer, the founder of chiropractic, considered why this is as he said:
“I desired to know why one person was ailing and his associate, eating at the same table, working in the same shop, at the same bench was not. Why? What difference was there in these two persons that caused one to have various diseases, while his partner escaped?”
Asking why is a powerful thing. May we never stop wondering the answer to this fundamental question that every small child desires to know.
The answer to why and the path to true health is in your immune system – the importance of this cannot be overstated. And to keep a strong immune system, destroying all bacteria and viruses isn’t the answer – 80% of our immune system resides in the gut in the form of a variety of bacteria and viruses! 1 In fact, we have come to know in recent years that the human body contains even more bacteria cells than “human” cells – much more. 2
B.J. Palmer, son of D.D. Palmer, understood this when he said, “If the ‘germ theory of disease’ were correct, there’d be no one living to believe it.” He explained his position further saying that “While other professions are concerned with changing the environment to suit the weakened body, chiropractic is concerned with strengthening the body to suit the environment.”
The key is to strengthen the body. As we make decisions for our health and future, a question we should all be asking is, does this support or suppress my body’s natural immune function Much of what we have been conventionally told to do to stay healthy actually suppresses the immune system!
Naturally Strengthen Your Immune System
“Rather than trying to avoid germs, build up your own defenses.” By incorporating these 10 practices in your daily life, you can help strengthen your body’s natural immune system.
- Spend plenty of time in fresh air and sunshine – vitamin D is critical for immune health.
- Drink plenty of clean water.
- Get regular physical activity – find something you enjoy doing, and do it consistently.
- Wash hands adequately – use warm water & soap rather than hand sanitizer.
- Take time for rest – get enough sleep each night, and take a weekly sabbath where you unplug, connect with loved ones, and do not work.
- See your chiropractor for regular adjustments. Click here to find a MaxLiving Clinic near you.
- Eat nourishing foods. Fill up on a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables, quality proteins and fats, and probiotic-rich cultured foods, and you won’t leave room for the junk that lowers your immune system.
- Supplement during times of additional need – the Immune Boost Bundle helps strengthen your immune system from the inside out.
- Turn off fear. Don’t let the news or social media dictate what you think and feel. The news is not an unbiased source of information, and negativity and fear sell. Fill your day with things that encourage and inspire you instead.
- Think for yourself. Ask questions. Treat people with love and respect whether they agree with you or not.
There are no guarantees in life, but we don’t have to live in fear. Invest in building the best health support you can and live the life you love. We can empower ourselves through the choices we make to lead a healthier and better life.