Grass-fed Steaks with Creamy Peppercorn Sauce
- 1-2 tbsp freshly ground whole peppercorns with a course grind
- 4 grass fed steaks filets or NY Strip
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp grass fed butter
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (or coconut oil)
- 1 large shallot finely chopped
- ⅓ cup grass fed beef broth homemade or store bought
- 1 cup heavy cream organic
- Sprinkle both sides of the steak with salt and crushed peppercorns.
- Press the peppercorns into the steaks.
- In a large, heavy non-toxic skillet (cast iron works best), melt the butter and avocado oil (do not let the butter smoke).
- Cook steaks until desired doneness. A 6 oz steak will typically take about 3 minutes on each side. When done, transfer to a dish and cover.
- Add a little more oil if necessary and cook shallot until soft (a minute or two).
- Add the remaining butter and melt then pour in the broth and let cook for another minute.
- Add heavy cream and stir frequently until reduced to a thick sauce (6-7 minutes).
- Add a pinch or two of sea salt and taste for appropriate seasoning. Return steaks (and any juices that escaped) back into the skillet and cover well with sauce. Serve with any remaining sauce.