Chickpea Sweet Potato Burgers
Get creative with burger options for vegetarian and vegan guests at your summer BBQ or meatless Monday dinner with these Chickpea Sweet Potato Burgers. Enjoy the patties alone or top them with BBQ sauce and grainless rolls. Meat lovers alike will also love this recipe!
- 1 1/4 cups dried chickpeas
- 4 cups water
- olive oil cooking spray
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp Himalayan sea salt divided
- 1 small organic sweet potato peeled and grated
- 1 medium organic cucumber peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 small organic red onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- In a bowl, soak chickpeas in water for at least 12 hours and up to 24 hours. Drain well.
- Heat oven to 375° F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a food processor, process chickpeas, tahini, black pepper, baking powder, and 3⁄4 teaspoon salt. Scrape down sides as necessary, until mixture holds together when pinched, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and stir in sweet potato.
- In a second bowl, combine cucumber, onion, dill, vinegar and remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon salt and set aside.
- Form chickpea-sweet potato mixture into 4 burgers. Place on baking sheet then cover tightly with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil. Coat burgers with spray then bake until crisp and golden underneath, about 20–25 minutes.
- Flip burgers. Coat with cooking spray then bake until crisp on other side, about 10–15 minutes.
- Serve with cucumber, onion, or dill mix for added flavor.
- Note: If you don’t have olive oil cooking spray, just pour some olive oil in a cup and spread it lightly on the burger with a pastry brush.