Chickpea Sweet Potato Burgers
- 1 1/4 cups dried chickpeas
- 4 cups water
- olive oil cooking spray
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp Himalayan sea salt divided
- 1 small organic sweet potato peeled and grated
- 1 medium organic cucumber peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 small organic red onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- In a bowl, soak chickpeas in water for at least 12 hours and up to 24 hours. Drain well.
- Heat oven to 375° F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a food processor, process chickpeas, tahini, black pepper, baking powder, and 3⁄4 teaspoon salt. Scrape down sides as necessary, until mixture holds together when pinched, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and stir in sweet potato.
- In a second bowl, combine cucumber, onion, dill, vinegar and remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon salt and set aside.
- Form chickpea-sweet potato mixture into 4 burgers. Place on baking sheet then cover tightly with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil. Coat burgers with spray then bake until crisp and golden underneath, about 20–25 minutes.
- Flip burgers. Coat with cooking spray then bake until crisp on other side, about 10–15 minutes.
- Serve with cucumber, onion, or dill mix for added flavor.
- Note: If you don’t have olive oil cooking spray, just pour some olive oil in a cup and spread it lightly on the burger with a pastry brush.