Butternut Squash and Leek Soup
- 1 head of garlic
- 2 cups water
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 2 cups organic chicken broth
- 6 large leeks thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan sea salt
- 4 cups butternut squash (1 squash)
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut squash in half and brush with some olive oil.
- Place cut side down on a baking dish and bake for about 30–40 minutes or until squash is soft.
- Scoop out squash and set aside.
- Remove the white papery skin from garlic head but do not peel or separate the cloves.
- Wrap garlic head in foil.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour; cool for 10 minutes.
- Separate cloves; squeeze to extract garlic pulp.
- Discard skins.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add leek; sauté 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in garlic, squash, water, broth, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until well mixed.
- Place half the squash mixture in a blender (if the mixture is still hot you may need to remove the centerpiece of the blender lid to let steam escape — if so, cover with a towel instead).
- Blend until smooth.
- Repeat procedure with remaining squash mixture.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls, and enjoy!