Black Bean Chili
- 2 lbs organic ground turkey (or grass-fed ground beef, if preferred)
- 2-3 cans gluten-free black beans rinsed/drained
- 1 large white onion(s) diced
- 1 green bell pepper chopped (optional)
- 3-4 (14-oz.) cans diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2-4 tbsp chili powder, to taste
- Desired toppings: raw shredded cheese, sliced green onions, etc.
- Place a Dutch oven or a deep, heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat.
- Add in the ground turkey (or beef) and cook, stirring occasionally to help crumble up the meat for 6-8 minutes or until browned.
- Drain, then return meat to the Dutch oven/pan.
- Add in the onion and bell pepper, and cook for 2-3 minutes, mixing the veggies with the ground meat, until the onion and pepper are fork tender.
- Sprinkle in the desired amount of chili powder; stir to incorporate.
- Next, add in the water, black beans, and diced tomatoes, and stir to incorporate.
- Then allow the contents to come to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Once the chili begins to boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Then uncover and continue cooking an additional 5 minutes more.
- Ladle 1 1⁄2 to 2 cups of chili into a bowl, top with desired toppings, and enjoy.
- Let the remaining chili cool completely.