Waffles with Mixed Berries
- 1⁄4 cup blanched almond flour
- 1⁄8 cup tapioca starch (or arrowroot powder, if preferred)
- 1⁄8 tbsp plus 1⁄8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 tbsp coconut palm sugar
- 1⁄8 tsp sea salt to taste
- 1 pasture-raised egg
- 1⁄2 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 1⁄8 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄4 tsp fresh-squeezed lemon juice teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 tbsp almond butter (or preferred toppings)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh mixed berries of choice (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, etc.)
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients in the order listed (ex-cept for the almond butter and mixed berries) and mix until just barely combined, a few remaining lumps are fine.
- Let the waffle batter set at room temperature for 5 minutes
- Using a ladle, scoop approximately 1⁄4 cup of the batter (or the amount indicated by the waffle iron’s manufacturer) onto your hot waffle iron.
- Cook the waffles according to the manufacturer directions for your particular waffle iron or for 4-6 minutes or until preferred doneness/ crispiness is reached.
- Place the 2 waffles on a serving plate, add on the almond butter or desired toppings and then top the waffles with the fresh mixed berries.
- Note: For super-quick breakfasts, make a large batch of waffles and freeze them.
- Then, just pull them out of the freezer and place in the toaster or toaster oven to reheat.