Tortilla Chip Chicken Casserole
This is a quick and simple dish that is hearty and satisfying. By cooking the whole chicken, you get more flavor and nutrients and can save the bones to make homemade chicken broth.
- 2 cup chopped free range chicken
- ¼ large onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 ½ tbsp chipotle peppers in adobo sauce minced
- 1 ¾ cup free-range chicken broth or cream of chicken soup check ingredients
- 1 cup water
- 1 tomato cored, seeded and chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 ½ cup grass fed cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 bag grain-free tortilla chips
- ¼ cup black olives sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped, optional
- Guacamole if desired
- Organic sour cream as garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the chicken (can be done in an InstantPot) and set aside.
- Put onion, garlic, chipotle peppers, broth or soup, tomato, and salt in a blender and mix into a smooth sauce.
- Put a layer of chips in a casserole dish.
- Top with half of the chicken and half of the sauce.
- Sprinkle a light layer of cheese then repeat with another layer of chips, sauce and cheese and sprinkle with sliced black olives, if desired.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Top with cilantro and serve hot.