Perfect for sharing and entertaining, this salsa recipe uses fire roasted tomatoes to give it a rich and flavorful taste. Our homemade salsa is versatile for any occasion — use it as a dressing over taco salad, serve with guacamole and red pepper strips for scooping, or as a condiment for steak and hamburgers. Try roasted tomato salsa with your breakfast as a topping over eggs of any style! Create your desired spiciness by adjusting the amount of serrano peppers.
Core Plan approved
Advanced Plan approved
- 6–8 small vine ripened organic tomatoes
- 1 handful cilantro
- 1–2 serrano peppers (seeds removed)
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- To fire roast the tomatoes, put them in a cast iron or stainless steel skillet with no oil. Do not use thermolon/green pans for this.
- Turn the heat to medium-high and let the tomato skins blacken. Turn periodically until the tomatoes are nicely charred.
- Transfer tomatoes to a blender or food processor with the remaining ingredients and blend well.
- This salsa is terrific served warm but can be stored in the refrigerator for about a week.