Gluten-Free Nut Stuffing
Grainless Nut Stuffing This is a great stuffing option for your holiday feasts. It’s moist, packed with flavor, and contains no grains so it’s perfectly acceptable on both the Core and Advanced Nutrition Plans. This is also an ideal stuffing recipe for those who eat a gluten-free diet. It can be made with or without meat and the flavors and crunch of the nuts make it a great addition to the dinner table. Try out this delicious gluten-free stuffing at your next family gathering!Core Plan approvedAdvanced Plan approved
- ½ large sweet Vidalia onion coarsely chopped
- 1 large bulb fennel white part only cut in half, then cut lengthwise into ¼ inch-wide strips
- 4–5 stalks celery including leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil extra virgin
- 1 cup organic chicken broth or vegetable broth
- ½ tsp rubbed sage
- ¼ tsp oregano
- ½– 1 cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup raw sunflower seeds soaked if possible
- 8 oz mushrooms chopped
- Sea salt and ground pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- ½– 1 lb ground turkey, turkey sausage, or chicken sausage crumbled and cooked on the stovetop (optional)
- Heat oil in a deep saute pan. Add onions, fennel and celery. Heat on medium for several minutes until vegetables are lightly browned.
- Add chicken stock, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cover pan.
- Simmer ingredients for 20 minutes. Add sage, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add walnuts and sunflower seeds, cover, and continue to cook the mixture, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and meat (if desired), cover and cook on medium for an additional 10–12 minutes, stirring occasionally. If there is excess liquid, cook uncovered to reduce. If the mixture is too dry, add more broth.
- Check seasonings and add additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley.