This traditional Latin dessert, made without sugar, is a guilt-free option for an after-dinner treat.
- 1⁄4 cup Xylitol
- 2 cups Milk
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 Sticks of Cinnamon
- 1 Large Egg + 6 Large Egg Yolks
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Mixed Berries of Your Choice
- In a heavy saucepan, over low heat, simmer milk, salt, xylitol, and cinnamon until the Xylitol dissolves.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a bowl, mix the egg plus egg yolks, add the vanilla, and mix into the cooled milk mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 325.
- Pour the mixture either into individual ramekins or into a 2-quart ovenproof mold.
- Place this into a larger pan, and set inside a larger pan.
- Set in the oven, and carefully fill the larger pan with water, reaching 2/3 of the way up the custard pan.
- Be careful if you get water in the custard, it will not be creamy.
- Bake for 1 hour if smaller pans, 11⁄2 hours if large single pan, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Shake the pan, if it is too wobbly, the custard is not set.
- Remove from the oven and the water pan, allow to cool to room temperature, and then place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Garnish the top with berries and serve.