Apple Turkey Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash
- 3 acorn squash
- Avocado or coconut oil as needed
- dried Italian seasoning to taste
- sea salt to taste
- cayenne pepper optional
- 1 lb mild Italian turkey or chicken sausage
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 2 ribs celery finely diced
- 1 large granny smith apple diced
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese optional (leave out for a dairy free alternative)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Cut the stem end and the bottom ends (as little as possible) of each of the squash.
- Cut them in half (they should easily stand up). Scoop out the seeds with a spoon and discard. Put on a parchment lined baking dish.
- Drizzle with avocado or coconut oil and sprinkle with Italian seasoning, sea salt, and cayenne pepper if desired.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until soft to the fork (don’t overcook as it will lose its shape).
- Cut casings off of sausage and saute in a pan with onions and celery.
- Break up the sausage into small bits. When browned, add the apple and saute for 2-3 more minutes. Stir in 3/4 cup parmesan cheese.
- Put mixture in the acorn squash and sprinkle with additional parmesan back in the oven for about 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.