1. PubMed Health. How does the thyroid gland work? PubMed Health. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0072572/. Updated April 19, 2018. Accessed April 25, 2019.
2. Mayo Clinic. Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid). Mayo Clinic. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hypothyroidism/symptoms-causes/syc-20350284 . Updated December 4, 2018. Accessed April 25, 2019.
3. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. Hyperthyroidism (Overactive Thyroid). National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/endocrine-diseases/hyperthyroidism. Updated August 2016. Accessed April 25, 2019.
4. Shomon M. The Role of Chiropractors in Thyroid Management: A Q and A with Chiropractor Dr. Datis Kharrazian. Verywell Health. https://www.verywellhealth.com/the-role-of-chiropractors-in-thyroid-management-3232761. Updated January 22, 2019. Accessed April 25, 2019.
5. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. Hashimoto’s Disease. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/endocrine-diseases/hashimotos-disease. Updated September 2017. Accessed April 25, 2019.
6. Bursaća BN, Vasiljevića AD, Nestorović NM. High-fructose diet leads to visceral adiposity and hypothalamic leptin resistance in male rats — do glucocorticoids play a role? J Nutr Biochem. 2014;25(4):446-55.
7. Flier JS, Harris M, Hollenberg AN. Leptin, nutrition, and the thyroid: the why, the wherefore, and the wiring. J Clin Invest. 2000;105(7):859-861.
8. Parra D, Ramel A, Bandarra N, Kiely M, Martínez JA, Thorsdottir I. A diet rich in long chain omega-3 fatty acids modulates satiety in overweight and obese volunteers during weight loss. Appetite. 2008;51(3):676-80.
9. Eman, A., Gomaa, A., & Sayed, M. (2014). “The effect of omega-3 on cognition in hypothyroid adult male rats.” Acta Physiologica Hungarica, 101(3), 362-376.
10. Shao et al. (2014). “Dietary high-fat lard intake induces thyroid dysfunction and abnormal morphology in rats.” Acta Pharmacologica Sinica, 35(11), 1411–1420.
11. Arthur JR. Beckett G. Thyroid function, Br Med Bull. 1999;55(3):658–68.
12. American Thyroid Association. Iodine Deficiency. American Thyroid Association. https://www.thyroid.org/iodine-deficiency. Accessed April 25, 2019.
13. Kheradpisheh et al. Impact of Drinking Water Fluoride on Human Thyroid Hormones: A Case- Control Study. Sci Rep, 2018;8:2674. http://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-20696-4. Accessed April 25, 2019.
14. Goldstein DS. Adrenal responses to stress. Cell Mol Neurobiol. 2010;30(8):1433–1440.
15. National Sleep Foundation. How Much Sleep Do We Really Need?. National Sleep Foundation. https://www.sleepfoundation.org/excessivesleepiness/content/how-much-sleep-do-we-really-need-0. Accessed January 9, 2019.
16. Gary KA, Winokur A, Douglas SD, Kapoor S, Zaugg L, Dinges DF. Total sleep deprivation and the thyroid axis: effects of sleep and waking activity. Aviat Space Environ Med. 1996;67(6):513-9.
17. Dunlop J. Meditation, Stress Relief, and Well-Being. Radiol Technol. 2015;86(5):535-55.
18. Bansal A, Kaushik A, Singh C M, Sharma V, Singh H. The effect of regular physical exercise on the thyroid function of treated hypothyroid patients: An interventional study at a tertiary care center in Bastar region of India. Arch Med Health Sci. 2015;3:244-6.
19. Kreher JB. Diagnosis and prevention of overtraining syndrome: an opinion on education strategies. Open Access J Sports Med. 2016;7:115–122.
20. Sawicka-Gutaj N. Influence of cigarette smoking on thyroid gland — an update. Endokrynologia Polska. 2014;65(1):54-62.
21. Hegedüs L, Rasmussen N, Ravn V, et al. Independent effects of liver disease and chronic alcoholism on thyroid function and size: The possibility of a toxic effect of alcohol on the thyroid gland. Metab. 1988;37(3)229-233.
22. Lyn P. Thyroid Disruption: Mechanisms and Clinical Implications in Human Health. Altern Med. 2009;14(4):326-46.
23. Sarne D. Effects of the Environment, Chemicals and Drugs on Thyroid Function. In: Feingold KR, Anawalt B, Boyce A, et al., eds. Endotext [Internet]. South Dartmouth, MA: MDText.com, Inc.; 2000-.